By JIM FITZGERALD
The Associated Press
Friday, March 19, 2010

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Four men accused of trying to bomb synagogues and shoot down planes in New York last spring did little more than go along with a fake plot proposed, directed and funded by the federal government, defense lawyers claim in asking the court to dismiss the case.

A federal informant chose the targets, offered payment, provided maps and bought the only real weapon involved, a handgun, the attorneys said in a dismissal motion filed this week in federal court.

They alleged the defendants were not inclined toward any crime until the informant began recruiting them.

“The government well knew that their case had been a government-inspired creation from day one and that the defendants had not been independently seeking weapons or targets,” the motion said.

Federal court spokesman Herb Hadad said the government would file its response next month.

The defense has suggested from the start that an entrapment claim was likely.

Click on link to read more of this article on how the bomb plot was feds idea.